Catering with a conscience
London caterer, by word of mouth, was struck by the simple solution City Harvest provides for industry waste and Londoners in need. This instigated a long-term partnership which continues to support City Harvest in a special and innovative way. Clare Thompson, Director of Marketing at by word of mouth has recently joined City Harvest’s Food Council, and has shared this delightful summer recipe with us.
This simple and delicious burrata recipe uses locally sourced burrata, from Acton, and makes the most of seasonal vegetables. Alternatively, this dish can be made cheaper by using mozzarella instead of burrata. Serve this as a centrepiece salad, or make 4 individual portions.
Burrata, with shaved asparagus, courgette and lemon
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Burrata each carefully broken in two (alternatively, you can use mozzarella)- BWOM use La Latteria’s burrata which is made just down the road from City Harvest’s Acton depot!
- 1 Bunch asparagus
- 1 Green courgette
- 1 Yellow courgette
- Chardonnay vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 6 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Summer herbs for garnish
- Using a potato peeler, shave the asparagus lengthways to create long ribbons. Keep in iced water whilst you prepare the other ingredients (this will encourage the asparagus to curl attractively).
- Slice the courgettes very finely lengthways, then scatter with salt and leave for about 30 minutes for the salt to draw out some of the moisture.
- Then toss the courgettes together with the chardonnay or white wine vinegar to add a touch of acidity.
- Mix the extra virgin olive oil together with the lemon zest and flat leaf parsley plus seasoning of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Assembling the dish
- Drain and dry the asparagus.
- Place a small pile of courgettes and asparagus (reserving a few ribbons for garnish) on each plate and top with half a burrata (or mozzarella).
- Garnish with the reserved asparagus, the addition of some summer herbs and a generous drizzle of the lemon dressing.
- Alternatively, present on a large platter to create a delicious sharing dish!
Serving up social impact: By Word of Mouth’s ‘No Waste’ Canapes
by word of mouth supports City Harvest in an undoubtedly unique way. The London-based caterer curates bespoke and sustainable events in the capital for a variety of clients across industries.
The caterer offers the option of the ‘No Waste canapes’ which support City Harvest. You can learn more about by word of mouth’s ‘No Waste’ canapes here.
In addition, watch the video below to learn more about the partnership from Clare Thomspon, by word of mouth Director of Marketing and City Harvest Food Council member.
Looking for more delicious recipes?
City Harvest’s got you covered with a selection of innovative recipes from our friends and food partners.