A dessert recipe for a glut of cherries
This delicious dessert recipe makes the most of English cherries in their prime! (late July – late September). This recipe was shared by our partner, FoodCycle Kilburn, who opt for this dessert recipe (inspired by Guardian food writer, Felicity Cloake) when they receive a surplus of British cherries from City Harvest food charity. The recipe features in ‘A Taste of City Harvest’ charity cookbook, which is on sale now.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 500g fresh cherries
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp kirsch or other brandy
- 20g butter, melted, plus extra to grease
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 50g plain flour pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 270ml whole milk
- 3 drops of almond essence (optional)
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- Wash the cherries and if you like. Remove the stalks and pits (do this by cutting them in half and removing the pits).
- Add 2 tbsp caster sugar and the kirsch and toss together, cover and leave to macerate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Grease a baking dish just wide enough to hold the cherries in one layer and add half the demerara sugar.
- Spin the dish round to coat the inside with demerara, then set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add a pinch of salt and the remaining caster sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs, followed by the milk and melted butter, until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the almond essence, if using, and the lemon zest, then tip in the cherries and their juices.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for about half an hour, until just set but still a bit wobbly. Sprinkle with the remaining demerara sugar and serve warm, rather than hot.
A Taste of City Harvest: journeys of surplus food across a hungry London
Pam’s Spicy Sauce recipe is one of the many featured in ‘A Taste of City Harvest’ cookbook, written by award-winning cookery writer, Kristen Frederickson.
A Taste of City Harvest is available now for £20 with 100% of the proceeds supporting our charity.
For more delicious recipes from our City Harvest family, including our London charity partners, buy your copy here and support City Harvest in the process.
A Taste of City Harvest
A collection of recipes from the tables of City Harvest’s community of London charity partners, feeding those most in need.
100% of the proceeds go to City Harvest to further its work rescuing food, people, and the planet.