Courgette recipes to try this Summer
With courgettes now flying in and out of our depot doors, we wanted to share some inspiration for healthy and delicious courgette recipes this summer.
Courgette & broad bean risotto
Adapted from BBC GoodFood
(2 main meals, or 3-4 smaller meals)
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp butter
- 2 medium courgettes (about 350g), diced
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ lemon, zested
- 150g risotto rice
- 75ml dry white wine
- 750g warm vegetable/chicken stock
- 80g broad beans, blanched and peeled
- 20g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the courgettes, sprinkle in the chilli flakes and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Fry for 3-5 mins until the courgettes are golden and softened.
- Add the spring onions and lemon zest, and stir for a minute or two. Tip in the rice and stir to coat in the oil until translucent, about 2 mins.
- Pour in the wine, then cook for a couple of minutes until it’s mostly evaporated. Add a ladleful of the stock and stir for a few minutes until it’s absorbed.
- Continue adding a ladleful at a time for 20-30 mins, stirring continually, until all of the stock is absorbed.
- Stir in the blanched broad beans and warm through for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and stir through the parmesan (reserve a little for garnishing). Allow to sit for about 5 mins.
- Divide the risotto between 2 bowls and scatter with the a few basil leaves, a sprinkling of cheese, and some cracked black pepper.
Courgettes, lemon, feta, pea & mint salad
Adapted from delicious. magazine
For the dressing:
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 echalion shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1½ lemons, juiced and zested
For the salad:
- 155g fresh peas
- 4 medium courgettes
- 75g pea shoots
- 1 large handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large handful mint, roughly chopped
- 200g feta cheese
- Make the dressing by simply mixing everything together in a bowl to emulsify.
- Cook the peas in boiling water for 1min. Drain, refresh under cold water and set aside.
- Using a peeler, cut long strips from the courgettes, and put into a large bowl. Finely dice the middle-seeded section and add to the bowl.
- Add the peas, pea shoots, herbs and feta to the bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over some of the dressing to lightly coat everything and toss gently.
- Serve onto plates and put the remaining dressing on the table for people to help themselves.
*The fresh flavours of this courgette recipe also make it an especially great match with grilled chicken and simple, baked fish.
Courgettes and ricotta on toast
Adapted from delicious. magazine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ¼-½ tsp chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 large or 3 medium courgettes, sliced into 1cm-thick coins
- 250g ricotta
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 thick slices of ciabatta, or alternatively, use sourdough, or your bread of choice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the fennel seeds and chilli flakes and cook for a minute or so until sizzling and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and courgettes and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring every now and then, until the courgettes have collapsed, become jammy and browned in patches.
- Meanwhile, when the courgettes are almost ready, toast the bread.
- Stir the lemon zest into the ricotta and spread it over the toast.
- Stir the lemon juice into the courgettes, season and spoon on top of the ricotta.
- Serve straight away.
Optional: top with fresh summer herbs!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
City Harvest’s got you covered with a selection of innovative recipes from our friends and food partners.