Sprout Recipe: The green jewels of Christmas
Brussels Sprouts: truly the dividers at the Christmas dinner table. Like Marmite, the quintessentially British debate of whether we love or hate sprouts emerges in December. At City Harvest, we love sprouts. They’re nutritious, delicious, seasonal and can be dressed up in so many different ways, you’d be surprised. This December, we bring you this first sprout recipe of many, to try as a side or make using leftovers. If you give it a go, tell us what you think.
Up your antioxidant intake: Sprouts are high in protective antioxidants, contain anti-cancer compounds, and are linked to supporting both heart and gut health. Keep them coming!
Mediterranean-inspired sprouts with halloumi, pomegranate seeds, mint yoghurt and walnuts
Ingredients (makes 1 large dish or feeds 6 – 8 people)
- 1 bag or stalk brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil or large known butter for frying
- 2 packs halloumi or Cypriot grilling cheese, diced into bite-size cubes
- Seeds of half a pomegranate
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful fresh mint, finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Salt to taste
- Par-boil halved sprouts in boiling, salted water for approximately 5-7 minutes. Once they are par-boiled, drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, fry the chopped halloumi in a little butter to avoid sticking. Fry off the halloumi until both sides are golden brown. Remove from heat.
- In the same frying pan, add a little more oil or butter before adding the par-boiled sprouts into the pan. Fry these on a medium heat until they start to caramelise. Stir intermittently.
- In the meantime, prepare a cooling yoghurt sauce by combining the natural yoghurt with the juice of 1 lime, half tsp salt and the handful of fresh, chopped mint.
- Prepare your garnished of roughly chopped walnuts, mint leaves and pomegranate seeds.
- Once the sprouts are caramelised, add the halloumi back to the pan until all is fully incorporated. Add half the walnuts to the hot pan and stir.
- Remove the sprouts, halloumi and walnuts from the heat and transfer to your serving dish.
- Garnish with dollops of the yoghurt sauce, pomegranate seeds and walnuts evenly distributed, and a final flourish of mint leaves.
- Enjoy this dish hot or cold.
Recipe by Cristina Proietti @cupboard.creations
Enjoy this recipe?
Our recipe page hosts a variety of recipes from chefs, food partners, supporters and our charity community. If you enjoyed making this recipe, check out some more.