Summer Strawberry & Raspberry Crumble Recipe
City Harvest Food Council member, food writer and chef, Chris Baber shares his summer strawberry and raspberry crumble recipe from his cookbook, Easy. This delicious crumble recipe is a great way to use up gluts of summer fruits, and enjoy the last evenings of summer in an indulgent way.
Ingredients (serves 6-8) Prep & cooking time: 40 mins
- 300g strawberries
- 300g raspberries
- 100g light muscovado suger or caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 175g plain flour
- 75g cold butter, diced
- 100g flaked almonds
To make this recipe cheaper, swap fresh berries for frozen ones.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Remove the stalks from the strawberries and cut any larger ones in half.
- Put the strawberries and raspberries into an ovenproof dish. Scatter over 1 tbsp of the sugar, then scatter over the ground almonds.
- Put the flour and butter into a mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the remaining sugar and flaked almonds.
- Scatter the mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until lightly golden.
- Serve with clotted cream.
Chris Baber, chef, food writer and City Harvest Food Council member:
“This crumble is a perfect summer dessert. The recipe comes from one of my best mates and is something we always have round his house after dinner. I love the sweet, cakey layer the ground almonds give between the fruit and crumble. Serve it warm with a good dollop of clotted cream. Bliss!”
Extracted from Easy by Chris Baber (Ebury Press, £16.99) Photography by Haarala Hamilton
Looking for more delicious recipes?
City Harvest’s got you covered with a selection of innovative recipes from our friends and food partners.