Thanksgiving recipe: an ideal dessert for a glut of apples
This delicious dessert recipe makes the most of English apples in their prime and Bramley apples which are in season all year round! As its Thanksgiving, we thought we’d share this beautiful alternative to pumpkin pie and other spiced bakes.
This recipe was shared by City Harvest volunteer, Susan, and makes for a delicious, fuss-free dessert to try this autumn. The recipe features in ‘A Taste of City Harvest’ charity cookbook, which is on sale now.
‘Stupendously Cinnamon Apple Cake’
Ingredients (serves at least 8)
420g plain flour
400g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
240ml vegetable oil or margarine
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
120ml apple cider or juice
6 large tart apples (Bramley, for example)
2 tbsps ground cinnamon
5 extra tsp caster sugar
- In a stand mixer, or bowl with a hand mixer, place all the ingredients up to and including the eggs. Mix well.
- Peel the apples, quarter them, and slice them fairly thin. In a bowl, toss the apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar.
- In a well-buttered cake tin (about 10 inches in diameter), arrange a layer of apple slices, then pour over half the batter.
- Arrange another layer of apples, then another of batter. Continue till finished. Bake at 180°C for around 45-60 minutes, checking frequently to make sure it isn’t browning too quickly. If it is browning on the outside before the inside is cooked, then cover the top with foil and continue to bake.
- Test if the cake is cooked by using a skewer or sharp knife. If it comes out wet, the cake still has some baking to do!
- Cool before cutting.
A Taste of City Harvest: journeys of surplus food across a hungry London
Pam’s Spicy Sauce recipe is one of the many featured in ‘A Taste of City Harvest’ cookbook, written by award-winning cookery writer, Kristen Frederickson.
A Taste of City Harvest is available now for £20 with 100% of the proceeds supporting our charity.
For more delicious recipes from our City Harvest family, including our London charity partners, buy your copy here and support City Harvest in the process.
A Taste of City Harvest
A collection of recipes from the tables of City Harvest’s community of London charity partners, feeding those most in need.
100% of the proceeds go to City Harvest to further its work rescuing food, people, and the planet.