A plant-based recipe from our friends at Moving Mountains
City Harvest food partner, Moving Mountains is a gamechanger in the plant-based world. Moving Mountains is driven by a long-standing passion to make a positive difference to the planet and is aligned with City Harvest’s mission to rescue good food and prevent GHG emissions caused by needless waste.
Simon Van der Molen, Founder of Moving Mountains says: “We have always been committed to our mission to help both people and the planet, so when the opportunity arose to work with City Harvest the Moving Mountains team were keen to get involved. As a mission-driven business, Moving Mountains is always looking for ways that we can reduce our environmental impact.
“The opportunity to prevent food waste, whilst also helping those across London who are most in need, made partnering with City Harvest an obvious decision. We jumped at the chance to give back to our own West London community and we hope to continue working with City Harvest in the future to support a cause that resonates so strongly with our own mission and values.”
The Moving Mountains team has kindly shared one of their favourite recipes this Veganuary.
Dan Dan Noodles
- 1 pack Moving Mountains Mince
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp 5 spice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame paste (can be tahini)
- 30g peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 pak choi, leaves picked and trimmed, bigger leaves cut in half
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 200g fine wheat noodles
- Chilli oil to serve
- Cook the noodles following the on-pack instructions.
- Add the oil into a frying pan and warm it up over medium heat. Add the Moving Mountains mince and cook, stirring and breaking it apart with a spatula for about 10 minutes, until it starts browning. Add the soy sauce. Then remove the cooked mince from the pan.
- Add chilli oil, 5 spice, ginger and garlic to the same pan. Add more sesame oil if the mixture seems too dry. Cook for a minute and add the sesame paste and vegetable stock. Simmer over low heat for 5 mins. Add half of spring onions, all the pak choi leaves and half of the peanuts. Cook for a minute, until the pak choi softens and add the mince back to the pan. Mix all the ingredients well and take the pan off the heat.
- Serve the mince over cooked noodles with a sprinkling of spring onions, peanuts and more chilli oil.
About City Harvest
City Harvest London is a food redistribution charity on a mission to rescue food, people, and the planet. It rescues food at risk of waste, and delivers it, for free, to 375+ charity recipients across London, feeding communities in need.
City Harvest works with food companies across the UK food industry, helping to divert quality surplus from various stages of the food supply chain, and getting it to those most in need. From farms, to wholesalers, to supermarkets, City Harvest is a hassle-free solution to surplus.
Are you a food business with surplus? Get in touch now.