Feeding a community in need
London’s Community Kitchen
Harrow-based charity, London’s Community Kitchen, operates a number of projects aimed at improving community life and supporting those who need a little extra help. Led by Taz Khan MBE, the team at London’s Community Kitchen places food at the heart of its services. Chef Douglas runs cookery classes for people of all ages, equipping them with the tools and knowledge they need to create healthy and budget-friendly meals. London’s Community Kitchen feeds hundreds of people a week with the help of City Harvest surplus.
Innovating with surplus
Chef Douglas at City Harvest food recipient and partner, London’s Community Kitchen, developed this burger recipe when faced with a surplus of pea protein. This vegan burger recipe is a great one to please all at a summer BBQ, or even for a weeknight treat.
Left: pictured in London’s Community Kitchen for the Big Help Out food charity cook-off.
Pea Protein Burgers
Ingredients (serves 4)
600g Beyond Mince (or similar pea-protein-based mince)
1 tbsp toasted crushed cumin seeds
handful rosemary leaves, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 hot red chilli pepper, finely diced
2 tbsps sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsps harissa
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 tbsps olive oil
juice of 1 lemon or lime
100g brioche bread, or sourdough, broken up into small pieces
sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and season if necessary. Wait about hour.
- Cook a small piece. Check its seasoning again and adjust if necessary.
- This mixture is best if left in fridge overnight to allow the flavour to come together.
- Shape into burgers and cook in a very hot pan just to caramelise each side, then put in a 175°C oven on a baking sheet to finish, for 7-10 minutes.
- The texture when pushed with your finger should feel like a medium-well steak.
Chef Douglas’ burger recipe can be found in ‘A Taste of City Harvest: Journeys of surplus across a hungry London’, among other recipes from City Harvest’s charity partners.
To purchase ‘A Taste of City Harvest’ with all proceeds supporting the London food charity, click here.
Looking for more delicious recipes?
City Harvest’s got you covered with a selection of innovative recipes from our friends and food partners.